So, come mid-day on Tuesday, the following will go out in a press release to the wider media community:
- Caedmon’s Call is now an INO recording artist. [Yes, some of you knew that, and we've hinted at it ourselves.]
- Caedmon’s Call’s next record, Overdressed, will drop in late August.
- The tour for that album won’t happen until Spring 2008, because there’s another project due this fall: Cliff and Danielle’s fourth child.
- Oh, yeah, and that Derek Webb guy wrote for and recorded Overdressed with the band.
When Bryan first told me—Cliff had told him, and I was going to probably run into the band at a show Andy played in Nashville back in February—I nearly dropped the phone. It was eerily reminiscent of, well, the moment when Bryan told me that Derek was leaving the band. [You've gotta understand, people; I'm merely Robin to Bryan's Batman.] Now, if you’ve read between the lines, you’ve probably figured this out on your own. So let’s answer some likely questions about this.
- What does this do to Derek’s solo career? Nothing. Oh, sure, he’ll have to carve out time in his schedule to tour with Caedmon’s, but in case you haven’t noticed, they don’t exactly tour 100 dates a year anymore. [That sound that you just heard was Jeff Holland swearing at me for making that public. It's not ready for prime time, folks. ;)] Anyhow, Derek will still have his own career and do all his Derek-y things. But yes, he’ll tour Overdressed with the band
- Is Andy out of the band? Nope. [And why would he be?] In fact, we think it’ll be interesting having two rebellious guys who like to play the electric guitar on stage at once.
- How are they going to make four vocalists work? We’re sure that they’ll figure it out. Remember, Andy promised us that this record was going to be far more vocals-heavy.
- Is Bryan really joining the band? I don’t know. I think he might have to buy more of Cliff’s guitars to make that happen.
Now, you might ask, “Hey, if you guys have known this for four months, do you have any interviews with the band on this?” Why yes, we do. So, let’s give you the MP3s:
Derek [from a day when I was at the studio with the band during some of the early tracking; some of you have guessed at this, and I can confirm it now]:
Andrew, from a couple weeks ago backstage at Derek’s full band show at the Exit/In:
Let’s wrap up with some things about the record:
- The CD you’ll be able to buy in stores come 28 Aug 2007 will have 12 tracks.
- The CD you’ll be able to pre-order off of caedmonscall.com come 15 Jun 2007 will have 14 tracks. [So yes, pre-ordering is how you're going to get this version. This is a pre-order you'll want to do.]
- Folks who wrote for this album, in alphabetical order by first name: Andrew Osenga, Derek Webb, Randall Goodgame, and Sandra McCracken.
- Folks who sing lead vocals on this album, in no particular order: Danielle Young, Cliff Young, Andrew Osenga, and Derek Webb.
- [caedmonscall.net] Staffers who have enjoyed lording this over people, when it really wasn’t that well-kept of a secret, but we like to pretend that we’re cool, in increasing order of importance: Geof Morris, Bryan Allain.
Oh, and in case you’re curious … the band didn’t let us scoop all the music media because we’re cool. [Hello ... have you met Bryan and me? We are many things, but cool? Not really one of them.] The band gave us the scoop because they know that you, the die-hard fans of Caedmon’s Call, are a part of our community. So thanks for supporting us over the years.
Questions? Ask ‘em. And if you want to talk it with your fellow CC fans, hit up the Rumor Forum for the discussion.